Monday, March 28, 2016

Once upon a midnight dreary...

Ah...Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven."  Is there anyone who has not heard this poem?  Having spent many delightful hours with the works of Mr. Poe, I was delighted to see this tea on the shelf.  It is another outstanding Eastern Shore Tea: Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe " 'Black as a raven's wing,' Black raven Tea is richly fragrant and satisfying.  Cover Illustration by Howard Burns."  It needed to come home with me even if I was unfamiliar with Blackcurrants.  The ingredients are simple: black tea and blackcurrant flavoring.  I've been enjoying this tea for several weeks now and while discussing it with Kathleen Kaminski, I discovered we both felt the same way: we love it; however, neither of us could really say what exactly we loved.  With that in mind, I pulled out an appropriate mug this evening and brewed a fresh tasting.

Unfamiliar with blackcurrants, I took a few moments to immerse myself in the aroma of the unbrewed tea.  It is a strong scent of, I assume, blackcurrants.  Quite lovely after I took a few moments to consider it...and a nice dark amber brew when steeped.  I love the taste and have made a mental note to look for blackcurrants this summer.  A simple tea, it can only be described as flavorful.  I wish I had more experience with this particular berry.

Usually I make my tea for work in a stainless steel travel mug.  I mentioned to Kathleen that this tea travels well.  Even at the end of my work day, if there is any of the 12 ounces of tea left, it will be cold and still deeply satisfying.  Tonight I decided to try it iced and to detect any differences in the flavor.

Black Raven is milder when chilled, but the distinctive blackcurrant flavor is still satisfying.  This tea is a 5/5 for me.  For a tea that I bought for the packaging, it has been an excellent addition to my tea locker.  And please forgive my favorite matte lipstick; it insisted on being included in the photo.
Next week: more varieties of Eastern Shore Tea.

Addendum to previous blog;  In my March 14, 2016 entry, "Experimenting with Maple Tea," I mentioned a friend tasting with me.  She has since corrected me.  She did not put honey in it: only milk, maple syrup, and a bit of sugar.  And it is her favorite hot tea; she gives it a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment